Sacramento Cooperative Community Fund
The Sacramento Cooperative Community Fund (SCCF) is an endowment fund founded by the Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op in conjunction with the Twin Pines Cooperative in 2001. Each Spring the SCCF awards micro-grants to local non-profit or cooperative organizations for qualifying projects promoting nutrition or health, supporting a healthy environment, meeting basic human needs, particularly nutrition, and/or promoting the cooperative movement.
Every year the SCCF invites applications for micro-grants from eligible not-for-profit and cooperative organizations operating in the greater Sacramento area.
Each year, the application process opens on March 1 and closes on April 1. Applications may be dropped off at the store by the deadline or emailed to the SCCF Committee Chair by the date. The Committee reviews each application and scores them based on the individual projects, potential number of people that will be served by the project, budget for the project and overall potential for success. Criteria for application are below and the application may be downloaded by clicking the link under “how to apply.”
Eligibility criteria for receiving a micro-grant from SCCF are:
- Applicants must, at the time of application, be a tax exempt, not-for-profit (i.e., IRS reg. 501c3) or a legally-chartered cooperative organization that is operating in the Sacramento area.
- The applicant’s proposal for funding must be for a specific project, activity, or purchase (not for general program operations, ongoing costs, or the purchase of food or gift certificates for food). (If you would like information on how to request a food or product donation from the Co-op, information is available on our website at here, or you fill out the form here.
- The proposed project must fit one of the categories below as listed in the Co-op’s Community Sharing Policy:
Promoting nutrition or health
- Supporting a healthy environment
- Meeting basic human needs, particularly nutrition
- Promoting the cooperative movement
SCCF Grantees are required to:
- Abide by the Co-op’s nondiscrimination policy that requires grantees to: conduct business and serve customers/clients without regard to race, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, disability, political opinion, or national origin; not knowingly conduct business with or support any organization, business, group or individual who discriminates against others as listed above; and prohibit discrimination and harassment (including sexual harassment) of customers/ clients and employees and anyone doing business with the organization.
- Agree not to use any of the funds for lobbying or political activities.
- Publicize the award within your organization (e.g., your own newsletter) and by submitting press releases to the local media as well as providing the SCCF with copies of all of those articles.
- Upon project completion, submit a brief report to the SCCF about results achieved with the micro-grant funds.
- SCCF micro-grants typically range from $200 to $500 but can be from $50 to $750 (maximum).
- The Co-op may use the information you provide in the application to publicize your organization’s project in its own publications including its website, and/or in any press release.
- Preference will be given to organizations that have not received over $200 of funds, product, or in-kind donations from the Co-op and/or the SCCF during the prior 12 months.
- Awards are decided by the SCCF Committee. Each application is scored based on Category, Benefit, Budget and Capacity of project.
Complete and sign the application form (download the form here), and submit it with all required documents by mail to:
SCCF Committee c/o Sacramento Natural Foods
ATTN: Board Admin
2820 R Street
Sacramento, CA 95820
Or submit by e-mail as a single pdf attachment to email@example.com with subject line “SCCF Application.” Faxed applications will not be accepted. Mailed applications must be postmarked, and e-mailed applications received, no later than April 1.
Any Questions? Please contact the Board Administrator – firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.